Friday 5 November 2010

Lets celebrate our boys!


'What we need, she says, is to celebrate what makes them boys and help them to understand the things that don't come naturally to them. That means getting them outside more, particularly as space gets squeezed in urban schools. “Not letting boys be boys is not only detrimental to them but also to girls, many of whom become overcompliant with what is considered ‘good' behaviour and could do with a shove outdoors to take more risks,” she says. “I certainly wish that had happened to me.” '

[From a 2008 article in The Times
http://women.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/women/families/article4288100.ece]


As someone who tried very hard in my early days of parenting to 'gender neutralise' my boys, only to find out I was trying to bend the forces of nature, this quote feels very true.

So, let's celebrate our boys!



















3 comments:

Hannah said...

I am in agreement with them needing to be outside and run around a lot

I'm just annoyed that it involves me being out there too ;~)

Big mamma frog said...

Yeah, especially if they like football and expect you to join in. Thankfully mine don't, I imposed nurture over nature on that one {g}.

MadameSmokinGun said...

Worms.

Boys and worms.

I'm staying indoors. Unfortunately most of my kitchen tupperware remains outdoors. Full of bloody worms.

They can all stay outdoors.