Saturday 21 February 2009

Been tagged - but don't worry, I'm sure they'll let me off for good behaviour

Ok, I've been 'tagged' by Sam of 'Feel the Rhythm Inside' blog fame to tell you 8 random things about myself. I'm not sure how you define 'random', but here goes...

1. I'm currently painting the kitchen green (it used to be bright orange). In this house I've only decorated when I've been pregnant: hence we've only decorated about 3 rooms in this house in the past 11 years. And before you ask, no I'm not...3 children is MORE than enough!

2. At the moment I'm reading these books: 'The 3a.m. Epiphany:uncommon writing exercises that transform your fiction' by Brian Kiteley and 'Conan Doyle' by Michael Coren, and I've just finished 'The Uncommon Reader' by Alan Bennett.

3. My least favourite vegetable is probably celery, but it does have an interesting horseshoe shape when you slice it. Might consider eating it if someone bred a chocolate-flavoured version...

4. I'm vegetarian and have been since I was 15 when my dad - seeing me tucking into a vegeburger - called me a freak. Being a stubborn teenager I decided to fulfil his self-fulfilling prophecy. Besides, taking dietary advice from someone who had eaten pigs' trotters, and shared tripe with the dog, might be considered foolish. Unlike most vegetarians - and carnivores - that I've met, I'm not squeamish about meat or where it comes from. I grew up in the countryside: if we couldn't grow it or shoot it, we didn't eat it!

5. The garden plants I most dislike are roses (bare, spikey, boring things, just can't see the point in growing them), rhodedendrons (considered a pest in their wild habitat and about as subtle as an old lady's scarlet knickers) and hydrangeas (like huge pom poms and just plain irritating). However, hydrangeas are interesting in that the flower colour changes according to the pH of the soil it is growing in. It took 3 years of hacking and chopping and digging for the hydrangea beside our greenhouse to die; from this I deduce that they are pretty hardy plants.

6. When I was 6 and someone asked me what I wanted to be when I was a grown up I said I wanted to be an author. They looked at me like I was weird because normal little girls wanted to be a nurse or hairdresser. I wasn't a normal little girl {g}

7. I first used the internet in 1991. It was part of my job to use it to search out scientific articles and patents for the company I worked for. In those days you had to use particular language to do the searches. I don't suppose Google was around then and definitely NO facebook.

8. I have eight toes. Nah, only kidding, though when I was a child I did meet a man who had a finger missing. Or did he have an extra finger? I dunno, it was a long time ago, but I remember he thought it was highly amusing to get me to count his fingers. Adults are such attention seekers...

According to tagging rules I'm meant to tag another 8 people. Will have to think about that one as most of the people whose blogs I follow have already been tagged with this one.

So, were those things random enough?

1 comment:

Sam said...

suitably random ;-) Interesting to see inside your mind!

Thanks for playing :-)