Tuesday 30 March 2010

I am brain of Britain (but shhh it's a secret)

Last night I answered 8 questions right on University Challenge. Perhaps they were particularly easy...or maybe I have a few more brain cells than usually displayed while cleaning the toilet or washing up. Don't worry, I'm not going to make a habit of being brainy. I know my place (somewhere between the kitchen sink and the chocolate display at the corner shop).




Yesterday we spent a wonderful day with friends, walking by the canal. Ds1 went off fishing with one of their sons (well ds1 dangled the rod optimistically over the edge of the bridge into the water, which is closer to fishing than he usually gets). My friend and I wandered along the tow path with small people leaning precariously over the water, not-quite-so-small people waving swords and disappearing into woodland, and two dogs (one of whom needs some lessons in gender identification) doing what dogs do. We talked about living on a barge, chickens, knitting, jam, decluttering, life, the universe and everything important. It was one of those days.




I abandoned our very noisy cockeral in their garden (these are the people who have already adopted our secondhand rabbit) and dd chased their teeny puppy around the house like a demented terrier (her, not the dog). And then after prising ds2 off the life-support-machine (computer) i took them all home.


(Has anyone seen the littuns - you know, the non-swimmers?
Oh yeah, there they are, disappearing into the distance)


Tonight I am doing a performance with other writers in one of my writing groups. I'm not quite sure how I said yes, but obviously somewhere along this unrehearsed, slow-motion train crash that started way back in October I thought it would be a good idea to hop on. Are we doing it somewhere quiet and secret - no! We are doing it in a restaurant. A restaurant! Now whose big idea was that?! (not mine). And people - public, non-writing human beings - are actually coming and paying to see us do...er...not very much, very poorly. And if anyone mentions positive thinking to me I will smack them. Not even chocolate can fix this.

6 comments:

Carolyn said...

OMG!!!!!!
Public performance?!!!!
Sounds VERY scary!!!

Lovely day yesterday...and all the children got home in one piece, and not a fishing hook stuck anywhere that it shouldn't have been!!!

Charlie doing fine, and in with teh girls this morning...looking rather concerned. Him not the girls!!

Big mamma frog said...

Not surprised about Charlie. I think he should be very scared - all those girls! Hope he does his job well.

Public performance. Yeah. NOT GOOD.
I'm driving so that I don't get tempted to stop at a pub and get horrendously drunk beforehand. Will just be glad when it's all over.

Big mamma frog said...

oh and I forgot to say...there will be audience participation tonight as well...questions thrown to the 'performers'.
I keep having the Radiohead song go through my head 'You do it to yourself, you do...'

Unknown said...

You make me laugh at every post - thank you from one HEer to another xxxx

MadameSmokinGun said...

Do you perform writing - or do you write performing?

Either way - r'spec' !

Big mamma frog said...

I do writing. Well I put words on paper in some semblance of order. And occasionally I put them in random order just to see if anyone notices. But my notebook is set to self-destruct if anyone opens the front cover...boom.

When performing is mentioned I run. Obviously I need to invest in faster shoes. Who do they think I am, some stage school wannabe??!